Thursday, March 4, 2010

Math Time

You must look at this graph to understand what I am going to say next. MmmmK.

My good friend Kevin once told me that the f(x)=1/x graph is a good example of tragic miscommunication.

Sometimes you feel like you are working in the same direction as someone else, but you just miss it, and end up going in opposite directions. You think that things are going to work out, but it doesn't click the way you expected. There is some sort of barrier, an asymptote, that keeps mutual understanding at bay.

I always see this graph in my head now when I don't understand someone, or if I am frustrated while trying to explain something. Damn asymptotes getting in my way of communication.

I also sometimes think about the fact that Kevin said this bit of brilliance seven hours into our road trip from CA at three in the morning.

Now I am thinking about how my friend Tristan was with us on that same trip years ago and is now engaged to be married.

And now I am kind of missing calculus. And the sunglasses I lost on the trip.

Math is a crazy Bih.

1 comment:

Brently said...

I think this is the only REAL application I've ever had with math...and the fact you said "damn asymptotes" just made me laugh really hard!