Thursday, June 24, 2010

Moroni is a Bad Ass, Part I

I have never read through the war chapters of the Book of Mormon with much enthusiasm. It isn't bad to look for "the lesson" and "principles" in the scriptures. That is what we have them for. But I think that in my diligent search for those things I missed the dramatic parts of stories and the actual history that is written there.

I am currently insatiably interested, for the first time ever. Particularly Alma 43-64. And it is really neat to see how Helaman's narrative shows how interested and impressed he was too. These men are MEN of God with lives that hold stories that are worthy of their names.

Alma 44
In case you need the Recap:
Moroni is leading his people in battle against the bad Lamanites. The Lamanites find themselves at the Mercy of Moroni; He gives them a chance to swear an oath of peace or die. The Lamanites refuse but try to weasel out with "hey just take our weapons and let us go, no BFD ya know". YEAH RIGHT. Moroni is no such fool. He is righteous, he is brave, he is smart.
Moroni is a BAD-ASS.

Alma 44:10
"And now when Zerahemnah had made an end of speaking these words, Moroni returned the sword and the weapons of war, which he had received, unto Zerahemnah, saying: Behold, we will end the conflict."

This is now one of my new favorite lines in all of scripture-dom. I can't believe that I have been reading over this so many times without seeing how great the drama is. How wonderfully epic a story.

In case you don't know the rest, the Lamanites fight some more and end up getting owned by Moroni's army and making the peace oath anyways.

More about Moroni to come, because he deserves it and I can't help it.

2 comments:

natalie. said...

i think that the scriptures need more dialogue that includes "BFD."
i for one can totally relate.

Emerald said...

I would come out with an "Emy version" of the Book of Mormon if I thought I could get safely away with it. I haven't been struck yet, so...