Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hey Harry

Today is Harry Potter's birthday!!!

When I was thirteen and reading books 1-4 I had the biggest crush on him. In my opinion, it is/was my weirdest literary crush. Even in my reading mind, I thought he looked doofy, yet endearing, like this.

It makes sense to feel fluttery over Legolas who had a perfect face and didn't have to sleep, or Aragorn who was all rugged and fought evil and became king, or the foriegn hottie in the Traveling Pants book, Mr. Rochester's brooding intensity, Mr. Darcy's everything. This barely hints at my many literary romances, and I'll just leave it at that because I already sound weird and creepy.
And possibly lonelybitteroldcatlady-ish.

Anyway, at age thirteen I loved Harry. It wasn't even just the whole I love the books and magic stuff. Come on, he was a brave and witty fella. And he did get attractive enough in the movies later on, which was kind of legitimizing of my childhood crushing,
Then later on he got older and beef neck y. Too bad. We don't need a picture of that.

I have had more book boyfriends than I can count. I am, however, of the belief that my tastes have refined through the years, and someday I'm sure those tastes will actually find a person outside of books who will make me feel as happy, excited, safe, and insatiably interested all at once.
Yes, I have moved past getting my heart in too much of a twitter over Harry.
Though I guess that doesn't stop me from hoping he, in all his literary existance, sees me like this and will give me a call.
 Again, Happy Birthday Harry Potter, I am glad you will never actually age and die.
Also, Happy late birthday to Daniel Radcliff who shares the same July 23rd birthday with me. If that doesn't create cosmic significance in my life, nothing does. 

1 comment:

natalie. said...

new favorite post.
and you would like kostas from the traveling pants books...but then again...i would like the weird asian from the movies that wins the video game.
perfect match.